Travel to Friday Harbor, San Juan Island from Seattle or SeaTac Airport
San Juan Sea Kayaking
Killer Whale Watching Kayaking Trips in the San Juan Islands near Seattle, Washington
Seattle and SeaTac Airport are where the vast majority of travelers arrive in Washington or pass through en route to the San Juan Islands and your kayak tour rendezvous in Friday Harbor. Here are some travel tips for getting to San Juan Island from Seattle, Tacoma, and SeaTac.
If you haven’t read our main page on Travel to San Juan Island click here for more general travel advice first. It has some great maps to get oriented and driving directions for those who plan to drive their own vehicles from Seattle for a San Juan Islands kayaking adventure. And here is preview of our kayaking tours near Seattle.
- Most kayak tour guests use the Washington State Ferry by using a shuttle or bus from Seattle (see choices below) to get to the ferry terminal in Anacortes. Please refer to our main Travel to San Juan Island page for driving directions and helpful tips for using the ferry system. Visit their website www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries or 206-464-6400 or 888-808-7977 for schedules, fares, reservations, ticket purchases, and ferry terminal parking information.
- Shuttle bus service by Bellair Airporter Shuttle provides multiple daily departures from SeaTac and downtown Seattle to the Anacortes ferry terminal, www.airporter.com or 866-235-5247. (Please note that in 2020 the shuttle will stop in Burlington, WA. To reach the ferry terminal you will need to connect with a bus or taxi for the final 40-minute leg.)
- Island Airporter provides once daily, non-stop service from SeaTac and drives right onto the ferry to San Juan Island (Friday Harbor & Roche Harbor), www.islandairporter.com or 360-378-7438.
- Greyhound Bus Lines provides service from Seattle to Mt. Vernon, www.greyhound.com, 800-231-2222 or 360-336-5111, then you must transfer to the Skagit Transit bus system https://www.skagittransit.org/ or 360-757-8801
- Catch-A-Train/Amtrak provides daily service from King Street Train Station via Amtrak to Mt. Vernon, and they’ll arrange for a shuttle to the Anacortes ferry terminal, https://www.amtrak.com/home or 800-457-3549.
- San Juan Airlines provides multiple daily, direct, scheduled flights from Boeing Field/King County Airport, www.sanjuanairlines.com or 800-874-4434. They provide free shuttle service between SeaTac and Boeing Field/King County Airport.
- Kenmore Air uses both seaplanes and regular aircraft to provides multiple daily, direct, scheduled flights from Lake Union and Lake Washington, www.kenmoreair.com or 800-543-9595. They provide free shuttle service between SeaTac and their terminals.
- Island Air provides charter service from SeaTac or Boeing Field/King County Airport, www.sanjuan-islandair.com or 888-378-2376.
- Friday Harbor Seaplanes offers scheduled and chartered flights from Renton (between Seattle and SeaTac) to Friday Harbor. They offer a shuttler service to/from SeaTac for an additional fee and free parking at their terminal. www.fridayharborseaplanes.com or 425-277-1590.
- Victoria Clipper sails from downtown Seattle’s Pier 69 seasonally to Friday Harbor. (This service is not available as of 2020.) www.clippervacations.com or 800-888-2535 or 206-448-5000.
- If you prefer to rent a car to drive to the Anacortes Ferry you can compare rates at Car Rentals in Washington.
Back to our main page on Travel to San Juan Island.